Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Versatile Bean

Garden Planning: Seed Suggestion – the Versatile Bean

One thing I’ve noticed that folks don’t seem to grow many dry beans in this area. Why not? Maybe because of the long growing period (70 days shell, 95 days dry) or that you don’t get quite as much harvest as you’d like per foot or that your neighbor doesn’t grown any. I hope I can change your mind.

There are many dry bean varieties that you might just love because of their various uses. Many you can eat as a slender young green bean, then keep longer on the vine to eat as a shell bean and then even longer as a dry bean. Also beans up to the shell bean stage can be made into dilly beans. What I learned this year that you can basically use any bean in this manner. I had wax and green beans go by the snap bean stage, so I used them as a shell bean a long with the shells that I was growing. They were great and I had enough of all my varieties to freeze a couple of bags!

My all time favorite for snap beans are the French filet; we often grow Masai or Maxibel. If these grow to hard dry beans, save them for next year to plant as seeds.

My favorite shell bean is Vermont Cranberry Shell. This is fine to eat both as a snap or a dry bean. They have a pretty pink mottled shell as well as on the dry bean. For shell beans pick when the shell has turned this color and is still pliable.

Some of my successfully grown dry beans are Black Turtle and Jacob’s Cattle. This year I’m going to try a true kidney variety. I also suggest Soldier and why not try Garbanzo. To harvest them let the shells dry, pick one and see if the beans are nice and firm, if so it’s time to pick them. This year my pods were quite wet (along with most garden plants!) so I laid them out to dry on a screen. I suggest this is actually done every year, unless they are exceptionally dry. Then put them in a bag, smash the bag a bit to loosen the beans from the pods, and then it’s quite easy to pick the beans out and store them in an air-tight container. You’ll have a true winter storage crop.

A fun and informative bean catalog is from the Vermont Bean Seed Company; easy to order at www.VermontBean.com or call (800) 349-1071.

Because dry beans have a long growing period you do need to keep them up off the ground as much as possible so they won’t get wet and rot. Many shell & dry bean plants are taller than snap beans, so I’ve fenced them with just a 2’ chicken wire to help keep them off the ground. I’ve also mulched them with straw or really coarse hay. You don’t want to use the type that can break down fast, because it’ll just add to the rotting problem.

Beans have been a staple food in cuisine throughout the world for thousands of years. Archaeologists have discovered beans in ancient Egyptian tombs and in ruins of Native American habitats in the Southwestern United States.

“Well-known as a powerhouse of nutrition, beans can also be a foundation for imaginative dishes. Abundant with soluble fiber, they combine well with grains. They are virtually fat-free, have no cholesterol and are a good source of vitamins. The mild flavor makes them perfect partners with sandwiches and main dishes.” (from Vt. Bean Seed Catalog)

The rewards of gardening is harvesting and eating – the versatile bean will be a great reward for your gardening efforts!

No comments:

 
.bookmark a:link { margin:0 8px 0 0; }